It’s not what we were originally planning, but we are planning an OM Lx 4.3 release very soon — an extra release made possible by the load of progress made in the Cooker development branch before getting to some of the major core changes planned for 5.0 — changes we don’t want to withhold from people who don’t want to install a 5.0 development snapshot or wait for a few more months.
The current prerelease has:
- systemd-248.20210409 - Which brings improvements to internet connectivity
- LLVM 12 - We’ve updated our main toolchain to LLVM 12, and rebuilt the entire system with the new compiler. This should result in a little performance improvement.
- Linux kernel 5.11.13
- KDE Plasma desktop 5.21.4
- KDE Frameworks 5.81.0
- Qt 5.15.3 with all patches proposed by KDE
- KDE Gear 21.03.90
- Mesa 21.0.2
- FFMPEG to 4.4
Our hard working developers have also upgraded some cool stuff not on our ISOs but available for installation in our repositories:
- OBS-Studio updated to version 27.0.0 rc1 - Nice app for recording and streaming, much better than SSR (restricted repo) - Thanks to this it finally supports Wayland session. It also supports recording h264 with VAAPI (hardware accelerated video encoding) and we also patched it to support HEVC-x265 with HW VAAPI.
- AMDVLK 2021.Q2.1 - official AMD Vulkan driver. It is an alternative driver and can be installed at same time with RADV. It can be used to improve performance or stability in some games on Linux.
- Blender updated to 2.92.0.
- GIMP to 2.10.24
- Firefox to 87.0
- Steam to 18.104.22.168
As soon as we have OM Lx 4.3 Beta ISO’s we will let everyone know.
Work on all the core system changes planned for 5.0 will start after the 4.3 release – expect another announcement when the basics are working!
Do you want to help bring about the future of Linux on desktops, servers and smartphones? Join us at #openmandriva-cooker on freenode.net IRC!
Thank angry-penguin for contributions to this announcement.