Note: This is a cooker message, from Tomasz Paweł Gajc aka TPG, converted here as a blog post. All content is a quote from this thread.
we are about to swtich RPM to version 4.
Cooker and 3.0 may be broken for upcoming days, as we need to adapt our docker builders and scripts to RPM4 and DNF.
Yes DNF, and this means urpmi is going to say bye bye for cooker and 4.0. Bero and Neal Gompa (aka ngompa) are working on smooth upgrade process from 3.x to cooker/4.0
So what are the benefits ?
- RPM4 is actively maintained over RPM5
- RPM4 gives whole consisten suit for package mamagement and repository management
- DNF a wide standard to manage rpm packages (install, uninstall, upgrade etc.)
- Less bloat, no more ugly perl code and hacks
- No more ugly hacks and ancient adaptations just to make thing a “little work”
- Support from the upstream
Sorry for all the inconvenience.
Big thanks goes to ngompa for preparing whole RPM4, bero, Alexander Khryukin aka fedya.